There are two ways to look at this.
1.Standing up for what you believe in.
2.Believing in what you stand for.
Let me explain the difference.
1. Standing up for what you believe in – this is when you believe in something and you will do and say anything to defend your point of view, especially when it’s something you believe is worth fighting for.
2. Believing in what you stand for – this is when you believe in what you stand for, but standing up for it is difficult especially when none of your peers have the same believes as you.
This blog post idea came to me a couple of days ago when I realized even in 2017 we are still being judged for what we believe in. If it is standing up for God, gay rights, women rights, equality etc.
Now I’m not sure why this is still such a huge deal in 2017, but unfortunately it is.
I know what most of you are thinking, how can someone that’s 21 years of age stand up for what she believes in. In all honesty it doesn’t matter if you are 10 years old, when you believe in something than you should stand up for it even if no one is standing with you.
Standing alone might make you different, people will place you in a little box, people will force you to believe in what they believe, but let me tell you something God made us all different with different mind sets and different ways of thinking, no one has the authority to tell you that your way of thinking is wrong because, what makes their way of thinking right ?
We all have different things we stand for, let me tell you mine. (feel free to tell me yours in the comment section)
- I believe in God, yes I’m a Christian. I will stand up for this believe of mine as many times as I can. Yet at the same time I love thinking different about things. Firstly, I don’t take the bible literally I take it figuratively ( I know I might get some hate for this, but it’s fine) Let me give you an example.
In this verse Jesus said “if you have faith as small as a mustard seed you can say to a mountain,’move from here to there’, and it will move”. Now taking this part literally will mean that if you even have the tiniest bit of faith you can move a mountain.
For me personally this verse means by just having a little bit of faith, you can ‘Move mountains’ which means you can get over any obstacle given to you. Every heart break, every sad moment, every bad thing that has ever happened to you, you can conquer it. You see, we all think differently about everything, and even then God won’t judge me.
- I believe in gay rights. Am I gay no, but do I accept it in society YES. Now I placed this one under my belief in God because I know this is what it always gets back to. I’ve been told so many times before by so many people that in the bible it is not acceptable for a man to be with a man and a women to be with a women, to be exact there are 12 scriptures in the bible that condemn this action, but there are 37 bible verses that tells us not to judge others.
The bible tells us we are to confront others’ sin with truth, love and respect.The bible says – confront others – not judge them by their sins, and when we do decide to judge others on their sins, we need to look at our own before we can throw rocks.
I’m not one to shy away from the truth and this is something I stand up for the most. I love gay people, I have gay family members as well as gay friends and I love them equally as much as I love my straight friends.
- I believe in equality, gender equality. For a long time all over the world it was said men can do more things than women can, men work and women cook. Now that we are all over that statement and box that we have been placed in, you find women working machinery, men being cooks, women wearing pants and men working in fashion. For the people who still believe that women should be cooks and stay at home while the men go out and work WAKE UP -it’s 2017.
I know for a fact that I hate it when people tell me I can’t do a certain job because I’m a women, like -NO – I can do it, I will do it and I will prove you wrong.
As for people being against males working in the fashion industry please WAKE UP it’s 2017, let take a look at Giorgio Armani the number 1 richest male fashion designer in the world who has 8 billion dollars in his bank, so while you are making fun of the guys who wants to be designers, Giorgio is smiling and guess what, those guys will also be smiling in a couple of years.
- I believe in the anti bullying campaigns. Most of us usually say “I’m so against bullying” but than they go and bully someone. Let me just get something out the way – you get emotional and physical bullying. Emotional bullying is when someone makes you feel like you are not good enough, calls you names and tell you to kill yourself, where as physical bullying will be where you get kicked, slapped or bumped.
This is one that I stand up for the most, why you might ask, because I have been a victim of emotional and physical bullying. People, especially younger people, need to realize that bullying isn’t just a funny thing to do just to be “in”. Unfortunately I know there are parents out there who also emotionally bully their children, parents need to realize what they do at home effects their children, and then their children will do the same to others. I stand up for this because I know how it changes people and how it hurts, stop bullying.
There are much more that I fight for in this world, but than you will be reading for days on end.
Stand up for what you believe in even when you think it is silly – it’s not. Our beliefs and what we stand for is who we are, don’t change that for anyone.